Thursday, June 18, 2009

wine log #1


As it has come to my attention that people seem to have a theme for their blogs to create a website that has something in common for most readers, I too have chosen a theme.
For all you wine lovers out there this is your chance to see what I love to drink and what I think about wines and I would also love to know what you love and what you think about different bottles and types of wines.
As I am studying wine as a gateway to my future career and start school at the International Wine Center in September I have been prepping myself and tasting as many different wines as I can (not to mention I worked at several different wine stores for the past 5 years during college and late high school.)
Here's today's wine and my input.
A Montepulciano d'Abruzzo by Cantina Zaccagnini.
This here is one of my favorite bottles of wine and relatively cheap too. The price depending on provider goes generally between $14.99 to $16.99 at most stores. It has a great palate with a smooth finish and is medium bodied. There are a lot of flavors that consist in this bottle of wine from start to finish. For the aromatic sense of the bottle, one could see that it has a lot of fruit from figs to grapes and berries all within the nose with a touch of vanilla and oak to give it the earthy terroir based taste that it has. The berries give it the sweetness it needs with a touch of acidity to even it out. The finish mainly consists of the vanilla and oak with a smoky taste to it.
Now lets talk a little about why I like it. For my tastes, I love a dry wine with a full body to pack my mouth with great tastes and a clean palatte. This wine is on the smoother side with a medium body but the fruits and aromatics explode on this particular bottle for me and gives me a great feel to the wine. You can really taste each component and break it down as you taste it. This is a big thumbs up in my book. It is also bottled and aged for about 2 years before being sold to stores and also it is given time before bottling to really let the fruit shine and carry through the wine by being stored in stainless steel then stored in oak for about 4 months. The company Zaccagnini gives it the proper time needed to age and develop. For me this is a great combination as the flavor really shows and I love it. Some may dissaggree and not give the bottle as much credit as I do but hey, thats what opinions are for and I would love to see some criticism on the bottle. There is not a lot of tannin content in the bottle itself but for the low tannin content, they are nice and round as well as chewy (hence the medium body and not full which would be more of a high tannin content.) AND the wine goes reallllly well with pasta and pizza (tomato sauce based) as well as meats. ALL OF WHICH I LOVE!

The wine is great and if you haven't tried it you should, if you have then let me know what you think.
Til next time, keep reading.

9 comments:

  1. COOL! can you post pairings too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. next time you should inform me of the wine school ;] lol
    and this is a different sort of read for me ^^ keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should summarize at the end without using vino vernacular for those of us that are vino illiterate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this wine sucks, you suck~ miss you taehyun

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a great wine..
    and it should be about $12-$13..
    anything higher and you're getting ripped off~

    ReplyDelete
  6. what is the vintage that you would recomend?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a good read, Taehyun. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you just made me want to drink a bottle of wine

    ReplyDelete
  9. keep writing! ill keep reading!
    i did a wine tasting and learned how to drink wine properly in france once.. in a brewery i thought it was interesting hahah

    ReplyDelete